What will your child learn in English in year 7?
The schemes of learning that year 7 will focus on throughout the year are:
- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar with a focus on creative writing and story telling
- Studying the novel Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan
- A study of narrative poems â€“ ballads
- A study of the Shakespeare play A Midsummer Nightâ€™s Dream
- Persuasive writing centred around charity work
- A review of the media â€“ looking at advertising and non-fiction
How will your child be assessed in English?
Your child will be assessed formally every term. They will complete a mid-term assessment and then an end of term assessment will be completed
using the same skills. The end of term assessment will be levelled and used to evaluate their progress.
The topics that we study throughout the year have a focus on writing, reading and speaking and listening skills.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in English.
Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability
- Encourage your child to read for pleasure. This is a main focus of the department. Listening to your child read and discussing with them what they have read will be sure to improve their literacy skills
- Practise spellings with your child
- Encourage your child to write as often as possible
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every two weeks and students will usually have a week to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the schoolâ€™s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the topic they will be studying that term and will help them to practise vital skills needed to progress in reading and writing.
- Students will be expected to read for pleasure at home and will complete book reviews and presentations on what they have read throughout the year.