What will your child learn in Art in year 8?
The schemes of learning that year 8 will focus on throughout the year are:
- Post-Impressionist landscape art in Term 1 and 2.
- Focus: Mark making through drawing and painting, linked to the work of Vincent Van Gogh.
- Term 3 starts with a focus on natural forms and development of drawing skills.
- Term 4, 5 and 6 is a chance for students to research artists that inspire them in order to develop a piece of work based around the theme of â€˜Animalsâ€™.
How will your child be assessed in Art?
Your child will be assessed every term on the progress made in their lessons. This will be based on three assessment objectives:
- Drawings and personal photographs
- Use of materials â€“ paint, print, collage, mixed media etc
- Artist researchThis is more in line with how GSCE Art and Design is assessed and gives us a clearer picture of each individual studentâ€™s strengths and areas that require further progress.Â In addition to this, students will also be set termly drawing tasks to ensure that this skill is continually developed.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in Art. Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability.
- Encourage your child to draw in their own time, in order to develop skill and confidence.
- Encourage your child to take risks and not be afraid to make mistakes.
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every couple of weeks and students will usually have a week to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the schoolâ€™s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the project they will be studying that term and will help them to practise vital skills needed to progress.