What will your child learn in Humanities in year 8?
The schemes of learning that year 8 will focus on throughout the year are:
- The Civil War
- How should Bristol remember Edward Colston?
- Was Britain responsible for the murder of its children?
- Rivers and Flooding
- The Environment
- Prejudice and Discrimination
How will your child be assessed in Humanities?
Your child will be assessed formally every term. They will complete a mid-term assessment and then an end of term assessment will be completed using the same skills. The end of term assessment will be levelled and used to evaluate their progress.
The topics that we study throughout the year have a focus on the skills of learning about and from religions, historical interpretations, using sources and geographical places, people and processes.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in Humanities. Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability
- Discuss current affairs
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every two weeks and students will usually have a week to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the schoolâ€™s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the topic they will be studying that term and will help them to practise vital skills such as source analysis.