What will your child learn in Maths in year 8?
Term 1 â€“ Properties of Numbers, Shapes & Measuress.
Term 2 â€“ Statistics & Graphs, Expressions & Equations.
Term 3 â€“ Decimals, Lines & Angles, Scale drawings.
Term 4 â€“ Straight lines, Probability.
Term 5 â€“ Real life graphs, Constructions & Loci.
Term 6 â€“ Percentages, decimals & Fractions.
How will your child be assessed in Maths?
- There will be an assessments at the end of each Unit of work.
- Your child will be tested on all aspects of each Unit.
- There will be an end of Year exam in Term 6 based on all the Units studied in Year 8.
- Revision of the topics studied each term and practising the key skills will help students achieve good results.
How can you help your child?
- Use opportunities to use Maths at home â€“ eg money, bills, games.
- Ask your child to explain what they have learnt in their Maths lessons.
- Support your child when they are completing Independent Study ensuring it has been completed to the best of their ability.
- Encourage your child to ask for help in school if they need it.
- Show them your methods for completing calculations.
- Use www.mymaths.co.uk for online help on topics.
- Help them prepare for the termly assessments by going back over topics in their books and practising the skills
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set each week and should take about 30 minutes.Â It will provide valuable practice of the key skills
- It may be set on Mymaths or it may be a work sheet.
- The IS will be recorded on Edmodo and can be accessed on Edmodo.
- Students will receive feedback on their IS.
- If your child finds the IS is too difficult they should seek help from their Maths teacher.
- Feel free to help your child to understand and solve a problem if necessary.