What will your child learn in Music in year 8?
The schemes of learning that year 8 will focus on throughout the year are:
- Elements of Music
- Grade 1 & 2 theory of music
- Instrument skills
- Reggae Music
- Kwela â€“ African Music
- Popular Song
How will your child be assessed in Music?
Your child will be assessed formally every topic. They will complete a baseline, mid-term and then an end of term assessment. The end of term assessment will be used to evaluate their progress throughout the topic.
The topics that we study throughout the year have are focussed around listening, performance and composition.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in Music. Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability
- Encourage your child to talk about the different things they do in Music lessons.
- Encourage your child to play an instrument â€“ this is a fantastic way to teach your child a discipline.
- Encourage your child to listen to a variety of musical styles.
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every two weeks and students will usually have a week to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the schoolâ€™s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the topic they will be studying that term, it may be research, listening to music or a written task.