What will your child learn in DT in year 9?
The schemes of learning that year 9 will focus on throughout the year are:
- Pupils will look at the design work of the Alessi factory
- Pupils will look at the design work of the Memphis design group.
- Products and designs will be analysed.
- Pupils will develop designing skills.
- Pupils will develop making skills, using Metal, Food, Textiles andÂ Computer Aided Design and Manufactur
How will your child be assessed in DT?
Pupils will be assessed in each of the written tasks, for literacy as well as DT skills.
For the practical areas, they will be assessed halfway through the task and at the end.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in DT. Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability
- Encourage your child to recognise and think about the technology around them.
- Look at how Design is involved in everything they use.
- Encourage your child to cook at home.
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every four weeks and students will have three weeks to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the schoolâ€™s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the work of a particular designer, chef or engineer.
- The IS is to be done using a template, that is on Edmodo, the work can be done on a computer or by hand.