What will your child learn in Art in year 7?
The schemes of learning that year 7 will focus on throughout the year are:
- In terms 1 and 2, students study the American Artists Rex Ray, with a focus on developing skills in pattern, colour theory, collage and printing.
- In terms 3 and 4, students look at the Artist movement Pop Art and explore the history behind it, the techniques used and reasons for why it is still so popular today.
- In term 5 and 6 students spend time exploring and developing their skills in the formal elements of Art.
How will your child be assessed in Art?
Your child will be assessed every term on the progress made in their lessons. This will be based on three assessment objectives:
- Drawings and personal photographs
- Use of materials – paint, print, collage, mixed media etc
- Artist research
This is more in line with how GSCE Art and Design is assessed and gives us a clearer picture of each individual student’s strengths and areas that require further progress. In addition to this, students will also be set termly drawing tasks to ensure that this skill is continually developed.
How can you help your child?
There are many ways to help and encourage your child to do well in Art. Here are some of the ways:
- Support with Independent Study tasks ensuring they have completed it to their best ability.
- Encourage your child to draw in their own time, in order to develop skill and confidence.
- Encourage your child to take risks and not be afraid to make mistakes.
How will Independent Study be organised?
- Independent Study will be set every couple of weeks and students will usually have a week to complete the set task.
- All IS will be accessible via Edmodo the school’s homework site.
- Independent Study will be focused on the project they will be studying that term and will help them to practise vital skills needed to progress.